Here are a number of your sports- and societies-related questions we have answered for you. If there’s something not here that you think should be, message your question to us using the Contact page.


Q. Can I set up a new sports club or society?

We would love you to set up something new here at Homerton! To make the process as easy and possible, we have an entire page dedicated to helping you through the process step by step. Access this page by clicking here.

Q. How are sports funded?

All college-based sports teams are run through the Griffins Society, which has its own budget within the HUS budget. The Treasurer and the Sports Officer work closely with the HUS Office Manager to make sure that all sports have equal access to funding opportunities. The HUS contribution to each sport is calculated using a number of measures, including the cost of hiring space to play, the cost of equipment, and the amount of time team members play their sport per week. As the Griffins budget is limited, most sports can only be part-funded, and the difference must be made up by the sports team paying subs. There are different tiers of subs, depending on how much funding your sports team needs. For more information, contact the Sports Officer or the Treasurer via the Contact page.

Q. What is a ‘blue’?

Achieving a blue means competing in university sport at the highest level, and must include competing in a Varsity match or race against the University of Oxford.

Q.Can I get funding for participating in a university sport?

Yes, college offers funding for those who have represented the University in sport. Come and collect a Sports Representation Form from the HUS Office – it will need to be signed by your captain and returned to the Bursar’s Office for approval.

Q. How do I pay for something as a Society?

There are two ways to get money as a society. For smaller payments, you can make the payment from your own account and then ask for a reimbursement from the HUS using this form. However, make sure that all the payments you make don’t go over your allotted budget! For larger payments, contact the treasurer ( directly and we can discuss making a payment directly.