Homerton has its own Careers and Development Officer, who aims to connect Homerton students to the careers service, help run careers events, and aid in the professional and personal development of students. The HUS office also has term cards from the careers service as well as their 2020 careers guide, guides to jobs in finance, as well as a CV and application guide. Pop by the office and check them out!
Hi! I’m Arina, your Careers and Development Officer for this year. A new thing I want to try this year is having a weekly update of job listings, both for graduates and vacation opportunities, and training courses that are relevant to Cambridge students. This feature is currently in its early stages so I would love feedback about the content provided. If you have any listings you want me to include or have an opportunity you want to share, feel free to message me on facebook or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deutsche Bank Finance Internship: spend your summer in Singapore of Beijing working for a leading global bank. Applications are still open for the Global Transaction Banking internship programs and the deadline to apply is the 25th of November 2019
- Summer Internship at MI6: an opportunity for students from minority ethnic backgrounds or parents from working class, or unemployed, backgrounds. Spend 11 weeks in London learning about the UK’s Security Service and learn about how they investigate and disrupt international terrorism. Applications are due the 27th of November 2019
- Summer Placement at the Ministry of Defence: work in the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) in either the Cyber & Information Systems Division or Counter Terrorism and Security Division for summer 2020. Specifically looking for people in STEM degrees and the position is based in Portsmouth or Stevenoaks, depending on the position. Applications are due the 7th of November 2019
- Corporate and Commercial Intern at Santander: work at one of the largest and most successful financial groups in the world or 6-8 weeks. Perfect for people wanting to work in the finance sector after university. Applications are due the 15th of November 2019
- Consultancy at the Sphere Group: work for a consultancy specialised in search and selection recruitment in London. Currently looking for people to work in three key industries: Accounting & Finance, Professional Services and Supply Chain & Logistics. Applications close the 21st of November 2019
- Journalism Training Programme with Reuters: for graduates interested in fast tracking their reporting career for one of the world’s largest independent news provider, which reaches more than one billion people every day. Initial training is in London and then 8 months working in newsrooms in China, Singapore, UK, Mexico, South Africa, Egypt, Lebanon or the United Arab Emirates. Applications are due the 15th of December 2019
- Working at the business side of MI5: work for the UK’s Security Service as a business enabler, who are later able to specialise into areas such as Finance, HR, Legal or Policy. Applications are due the 25th of November 2019
- Changemakers Leadership in Action: offered by Homerton’s very own Changemakers Program! A one day course aimed at teaching leadership skills, team work, and self discipline. The program takes place 9-15:30 on the 5th of December
- Cambridge Masterclass in creating your own startup: a panel offering practical advice and inspiration for students wanting to be future entrepreneurs and business leaders happening on November 18th at 2 – 3:30 PM
- How to get a job in finance: run by the Robinson College Finance and Investment society. A panel of speakers will provide inspiration and insight into careers in Financial Services (with a focus on investment services). The panel is on November 21st 2019.
- Internship in Marketing and Data Science: at Ekimetrics, a consulting firm specialising in the use of statistics. The internship last 2 months and applications are due the 30th of November 2019
- Human Resources Internship: at Procter & Gamble learning about how to succeed in a corporate environment, located in Manchester. The deadline to apply is the 31st of January 2020
- Internships at the Bank of England: an opportunity for penultimate year undergraduates who are interested in working at the UK’s central bank. The deadline to apply is the 2nd of December 2019
- Homerton Telephon! Apply to get paid to live in Homerton and call up our lovely alumni during the Easter vacation. Apply by the 24th of January
Graduate Vacancies (all begin after 2020 graduation):
- Journalist: for Global Data, an Economic and financial research consultancy firm. There is currently no deadline to apply.
- Graduate Program at an Arts Auction House: interested in art? Why not spend time after graduation working at Christie’s Auction house. Deadline for application is the 31st of December 2019
- Internship at NATO: a paid internship working for an international defence organisation. The opportunity is in Belgium and is perfect for students with experience in journalism, engineering, Russian/Ukrainian/Arabic languages, or defence policy. The deadline to apply is the 29th of February 2020
- Data Science Graduate Program: in London working with Datatonic. The opportunity is a 12 month rotation program working with analytics, machine learning, and data engineering. Application deadline is the 31st of January 2020
- Engineering Graduate Program at Eurostar Rail: work with a world renowned company in the rail business whilst living in London. The deadline to apply on the 30th of November 2019
- Workshop for Aspiring Directors held by the Cambridge University Amateur Dramatic Club. The last workshop is happening Saturday 9th of November 2019 at 4:00 to 6:00PM.
- Talks from Cambridge Alumni who interned with the UN: if working abroad in international politics interests you, pop by and hear about how some other students talk about their experiences as well as tactics for applying for internships. The talk is scheduled for the 11th of November 2019 2:00 -3:00 PM.
- Interview Coaching Session: get help with perfecting your interview skills from the careers service. The session includes a mock interview. There are still places available on Friday the 15th of November at 13:45 and 15:30.
- Summer opportunity at a Political Think Tank: the Hudson Institute is a US based think tank that deals with a wide variety of political issues. The start date is at the end of Easter term so make sure it doesn’t clash with one of your exams!
- Body Intelligence classes are being run for free in Homerton College! They’re on every week on Tuesdays 2 – 3.15pm and Thursdays 5.15-6.30 pm!
- Summer School Activities Leader: inthe St Edmund’s College Summer School in Hertfordshire. This 6 week summer opportunity includes accommodation, free food, and excursions. Deadline to apply is November 18th 2019
- Unilever Summer Placement: Gain work experience in a 12 week summer course in a variety of disciplines, such as marketing, finance, human resources, technology management, and others. Deadline to apply is the 10th of November 2019
- Summer Internship at London Economics: for undergraduate students studying economics or a related degree. The internship is based in London and can last up to 3 months. The closing date for the internship is not stated.
Graduate Vacancies (all begin after 2020 graduation):
- Digital Marketing at The Hut Group: jobs based in Manchester that include working in departments such as Social Media, Paid Media, and Influencers. You can choose to apply to work in a number of sectors including Protein, Luxury Fashion, Wellbeing and others. Applications close on December 1st 2019
- PhD Programs at the Wellcome Sanger Institute: a general PhD position that includes a mandatory rotation between research groups within the institute. The university fees are paid for as well as a stipend if provided. Deadline to apply is the 3rd of December 2019
- Graduate Development Program at the Houses of Parliament: a graduate position in the heart of UK politics. The deadline for applying is
- Graduate Roles at Samsung: roles based in Surrey that range from Finance, Marketing, to Paralegal and People. The program lasts two years and the deadline to apply is the 7th of February 2020
- Positions at ODI, a Global Think Tank: ODI works “for a sustainable and peaceful world in which every person thrives.” The opportunity is targeted for economists and statisticians. Locations are in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific and begins in Autumn 2020. The deadline to apply is the 1st of January 2020
- Internship in Civil Services: aimed specifically at first year undergraduates from diverse backgrounds. It’s a 5 day expenses paid opportunity to get a taste and head start in working in civil services. Deadline to apply is the 14th of November 2019
- Mindfulness Classes! Tutorial advertised classes for Michaelmas that are sadly no longer bookable, but the classes in Lent can be booked
- Stata Course: a course in the statistics package stata aimed at students from Tier one departments, which includes History, Education, Linguistics, Music, Politics, and many more. Takes place November 12th 14:00-18:00 and November 19th 14:00 to 18:00
- CV Clinic by Procter and Gamble: come and get 1:1 advice on your CV from Procter and Gamble! The sessions last 30 minutes on the 8th of November 2019 from 9:00 to 13:00. Email email@example.com to book your place!
- Programme Assistant Easter at Pembroke College: help out at the Easter vacation Japanese High School Programme during the Easter vacation. Application deadline is November 11th 2019
- Marketing Intern at Keakie Music: A christmas vacation opportunity working in the music industry in Shoreditch London. In 2018 Keakie was named by The Office Group as one of the 100 most creative, exciting and forward thinking companies in the UK. The application deadline is October 31st 2019
- Golfo Dulce Retreat: Help guide guests on a variety of events such as tours and kayaking for 3 months during the summer vacation. This is not a paid opportunity, but accommodation and food are provided. Recruitment is ongoing.
- Kraft Heinz Summer Internship: Work for a world leading food company in variety of disciplines including marketing, sales, and others. The opportunity is based in London and applications close on November 7th 2019
- Department for Transport Commercial Development Program: A three year program working in a government civil service department in London. Application deadline is the 18th of November 2019
- Russian Language Opportunity to work at an Intelligence Agency: Join GCHQ, MI5 or MI6 and you’ll play a key role in helping to keep the UK safe from external threats. Applications are currently open and close the 11th of November 2019. There is also a similar listing for those who are studying Mandarin at university.
- Water Resources Graduate: for STEM subject graduates in Cheshire. The job includes working in the water industry for Utility Services and applications are due 10th of November 2019
- NHS Management Training Scheme: Pick from a variety of disciplines including Finance, HR, General Management, and others whilst working for the NHS. The scheme lasts two years and applications close 18th of December
- More languages this time including British sign language. These training courses last over an extended time and are the only courses listed here that require a fee to attend. Application dates and course dates vary by language.
- Managing Stress in Times of Uncertainty: an opportunity to hear a talk about how to manage stress. Takes place October 31st 14:00-15:00
- The Cambridge Festival of Ideas is still on until Sunday the 27th of October. Take a look at the talks happening and hopefully something might spark your interest! Booking for events is required.
- Freelance Journalism Workshop for anyone interested in a career in journalism. Organised by Cambridge University Women in Media and the event is on October 28th at 19:00-21:30
- First Steps for a High-Impact Career Workshop: An insight into those wanting to have a career that helps others and the world they live in. You don’t need to have any idea of what you want to do in the future to attend. Must book a place by the 25th of October and the event takes place on the 26th of October 2019 at 14:00-18:00
- CPPIB (Canada Pension Plan Investment Board) Summer Internship 2020: A summer internship in London for penultimate year undergraduates where you work within specialised departments such as Private Equity, Real Assets, Active Equities or Credit Investment. Applications are currently open and close on the 30th of November 2019.
- The Wall Street Journal Summer Internship in Reporting: A 10 week experience in Journalism in London, Paris, Brussels or others. Learn alongside world leading journalists as well as pitch and write your own stories to be published. Application deadline is the 1st of December 2019.
- Mott Macdonald Summer Internship: Summer opportunity in consulting that includes a wide range of sectors including engineering, environment, ecology, and transport planning. Applications are due November 10th 2019.
- PhD on RNA Modifications: A fully funded position at the University of East Anglia working with either Sequencing the m6A (epi)transcriptome of C. elegans or Uncovering the role of RNA m6A modification in germ cell proliferation. This opportunity is at the Kay Lab and the deadline for applying is November 25th 2019.
- Charityworks Graduate Development Leadership Trainee: a paid graduate scheme lasting 12 months in London or other parts of the UK. Charities who you could work with include NSPCC, AgeUK, Poplar HARCA, and National Housing Federation. Applications are currently open and close the 26th of February 2020.
- Rothschild & Co Graduate Program: An opportunity to work in finance with one of the world’s largest independent financial advisory groups. The job begins July 2020 and the application deadline is the 3rd of November 2019.
- Thinkahead Graduate Program: An opportunity to work and make money in the Public Sector whilst receiving a masters degree in social work. There is currently no listed closing date for applications.
- Financial Times Intern: An opportunity to work in publishing for 3 months in London after graduation. The job includes traditional publishing work as well as modern social media publishing. There is currently no closing date on applications.
- Internship in Translation Project Management: an opportunity for undergraduate students to work in translation in locations such as Barcelona, Paris, Montpellier, Utrecht, Amsterdam and Berlin. Internships usually last 6 months, but they have mentioned flexibility with time if asked.
- Cambridge Consulting Network Flagship/Insight Projects: An opportunity to learn or further develop your consulting skills. Flagship Projects include working and consulting a company through their ventures. Insight Projects include classes and tasks run byIQVIA, a consulting firm. Applications are currently open and close on Monday 21st of October.
- Language courses. There are lots offered including French, Arabic, German, Italian, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Turkish, and most likely others! However, it should be noted that unlike other training opportunities listed these are paid for courses and usually range 300 pounds. Takes place at various times.
- Excel 2016 training course: Great for perfecting your spreadsheets and adding CV points! Takes place 20th November 2019 at 9:30 til 10:00.
- Mobile App Building and Augmented Reality: An Introduction into building mobile apps including menu-driven rendering approach to augmented reality techniques. Takes place 17th to the 18th of March 2020 from 9:30 to 13:00.
- Python 3: Introduction for Absolute Beginners: Aimed at those new to computing to help you learn python. This course is open to all but it does have a focus on scientific programming. 4 sessions on 29th of January, 31st of January, 5th of February, and 7th of February 9:30 til 11:00.
- Unix: Introduction to the Command Line Interface: an opportunity to understand the Unix interface. Tuesday 12th of November 9:30 til 17:00 with a lunch break.
- Web Authoring: HTML – For Beginners: Practical based course for people who are interested in writing web pages. Takes place 13th of November 2019.
Until this page is ready, check out the Cambridge University Careers Service. It’s a great resource, and once you’ve signed up you’ll have access for life!
A little-known gem of the Cambridge careers service, but an amazing resource for whatever field you want to pursue. Check it out here!